Chorus Education Trust
Westfield School became a new academy within Chorus Education Trust on 1 December 2018.
WHO ARE CHORUS AND WHAT ARE THEIR VALUES?
Like many other schools, Silverdale wanted to ensure that they were part of a local, collaborative group of schools - rather than joining one of the national chains with a limited understanding of their local area. That’s why they decided to create their own Trust.
Chorus believes that every child in our region deserves the best education possible. They also believe that there is outstanding expertise across our region that can be harnessed to make this happen. Collaboration is a key part of their ethos.
Chorus includes the Sheffield Teaching School Alliance (STSA) which allows them to work with over 60 schools in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire. This spirit of collaboration helps ensure that we are not limited by being part of a Trust. For instance, STSA is running a literacy project across 14 primary and 9 secondary schools locally. It also means we have access to a wide range of both new and more
The Chorus ethos is ‘Outstanding Achievement for All'. This means ensuring that every student has
the chance to reach their potential. This is achieved through excellent teaching and learning, a broad and balanced curriculum, and by running an efficient organisation that has a secure financial footing.
HOW do STAFF AND STUDENTS BENEFIT FROM BEING PART OF CHORUS?
Being part of a Trust provides lots of opportunities that aren’t available as a stand-alone school. These include:
- Priority access to the best new teachers, via our Teaching School.
- The ability to provide courses in subjects that might not usually be viable due to low student uptake, eg. arts and creative subjects.
- Access to teachers who are subject specialists and can help support other teachers and share subject resources.
- The potential to run more trips and activities for students across the schools, including sporting activities, debating competitions and, as is already happening, a joint choir.
- Increased staff CPD opportunities, including working with colleagues across the Trust, eg. the joint INSET training in September.
- Access to grants and funding that are only available to Multi-Academy Trusts.
- Priority access for students to Silverdale Sixth form - consistently in the top 10% nationally for student progress and performance.
- A new website, and a commitment to improve communications with parents and carers.
- Improvements to the school building.
- The chance for schools to share their facilities, eg. outdoor pursuits, performance, and sporting facililties etc.
- Financial savings, due to bulk purchasing and shared resources across the Trust.
MESSAGE FROM THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO)
"As the CEO of the Chorus Education Trust, I have been privileged to see the impact of the work of Mr Birkbeck and his strong team in transforming the climate for learning at Westfield School. Students are polite, well behaved and ready to learn. Staff are caring, thoughtful and determined to ensure that all the students get a great deal from their education.
Westfield has benefited from working closely with Silverdale School and Chorus Education Trust. However, we strongly believe that schools belong to the communities they serve, and it is pleasing to see the pride that the students and their families now have in Westfield School. Leaders have created a culture of success and as a result the school is popular and oversubscribed.
I look forward to developing opportunities for further collaboration as staff and students from Westfield, Silverdale and Hope Valley College work together for the benefit of all."
CEO of Chorus Education Trust