Headteacher's update 37
Published on 25/08/20
Good afternoon everyone,
I hope that you are all well. As we finalise our preparations to safely reopen school to all our students from next week, I felt it important to write to you all to update you on our plans. We are, of course, more excited than ever about the start of a new academic year. With this excitement comes a determination to do all we can to keep everyone in our school community safe whilst ensuring that our students enjoy a full curriculum and the wider benefits of being back with their peers and teachers. As ever, we know we can count on your support in ensuring our return to school is a real success!
We have made a number of very small amendments to the guidance we issued in July – the government advice was updated on 7th August with minimal changes. Full details of our plans to reopen can be viewed here: https://www.westfield-chorustrust.org/returntoschool
To support us in ensuring a smooth start to the new academic year, please ensure:
- Your child attends school each day by 08.40, unless they or someone in the household are showing any symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19. Please inform school in the usual way if this is the case and follow the current government guidance for households with possible or confirmed cases of COVID-19, which can be found here.
- Your child is prepared to wear a face covering if they need to travel to school on the bus or tram.
- Your child has a full school uniform. For more information on uniform see: https://www.westfield-chorustrust.org/uniform
- Your child has a school bag and is fully equipped. You can download a checklist of all equipment and uniform needed at: https://www.westfield-chorustrust.org/attachments/download.asp?file=282&type=pdf
In addition, it would be beneficial if all student could bring to school a bottle of water and a small bottle of hand-sanitiser.
- Your child understands the requirement to switch off and put away mobile phones and earphones for the duration of the school day.
- You have discussed our plans to re-open with your child, in particular:
- The importance of cleaning hands when entering and leaving classrooms.
- The importance of sitting in seats allocated according to the seating plan.
- The importance of not mixing with students from other year groups and moving around the building sensibly following our ‘keep left’ rule.
- Changes to the timing of the school day, including our earlier lunch and earlier finishing times for years 7 – 10.
- The importance of attending period 6 for Year 11 students.
- Our high expectations of the behaviour and attitude to learning of all students.
We will provide parents and carers with regular updates from September onwards. As you will be aware, we often begin the year by inviting parents into school for various information evenings and parents' evenings. We are currently considering alternative approaches to these important events to ensure all our parents/carers are kept fully informed on how we can work together to support our students.
We very much look forward to welcoming students in Year 7 and Year 11 back to school by 08.40 on Wednesday 2nd September, and all students by 08.40 on Thursday 3rd September.
With best wishes,
Head of Westfield School