GCSE attainment is on the up!
Published on 22/08/19
Today's GCSE results show a significant improvement in attainment by students, with notable individual successes, plus marked improvement in the performance of particular subjects.
Head of School, Mr Joe Birkbeck, said:
“We are delighted that attainment has increased this year in a number of key subjects, including significant increases in English and Science. Our English results have improved by over 10% in comparison to last year. The number of top grades achieved by our students has also increased, with 123 grades 8 and 9 overall.
“A number of students have achieved incredible results, with ten students securing grades 9s in one or more subjects. Many others have made brilliant progress!
“These students are excellent role models for those still at Westfield. For the second year in succession, a significant number of our students are moving on to study at Silverdale Sixth Form, cementing our partnership through Chorus Education Trust.
“More than ever this year we have emphasised the importance of revision, and of students working alongside parents/carers to ensure that their hard work in classroom is built upon at home. Moreover, we have seen increasing numbers of students taking advantage of opportunities we have created to attend additional lessons after school and in the holidays. It is great to see that for many students, parents and teachers the hard work has paid off – we are extremely grateful to everyone who has contributed to the success of our students by ‘going the extra mile’."
Individual students success stories include:
- Amber Edwards, who achieved all 9 to 7 grades: 8 subjects at 9-8, 5 grade 9s, 9 in Maths.
- Stephanie Cramp, who made outstanding progress.
- Destiny Gordon, who made outstanding progress.
- Lucy Reeder, who achieved all 9 to 7 grades, including 3 subjects at Grade 9 and a 9 in Maths
- Neek Kaviani - who made outstanding progress.
- Scarlet Pickford, who achieved all 9 to 7 grades, including 9 subjects at 9-8, 6 grade 9s, Grade 9 in all Sciences, 9 in Maths.
- Alicia Bennett - who achieved 2 x 9 grades, an A in Further Maths, 4 x 8 grades and 2 x 6 grades.
- Ryan Jessop - who made outstanding progress.