Coronavirus update: 02/03/20
Published on 02/03/20
As promised, we are sharing the latest update from the government about the response to the Coronavirus (also known as COVID-19).
It is still the case that no staff or students in our school have tested positive for Coronavirus and we continue to follow the Public Health England (PHE) guidance.
The Department for Education has launched a Coronavirus helpline to answer questions about COVID-19 related to education. Staff, parents and young people can contact the helpline as follows:
- Phone: 0800 046 8687
- Email: DfE.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: 8am to 6pm (Monday to Friday)
School responses to suspected cases
The Department for Education has also confirmed that “No school should close in response to a suspected (or confirmed) COVID-19 case unless directed to do so by Public Health England.”
What you can do
As explained in our last update, the best thing we can all do is to maintain good hygiene. Please work with us to remind students of what they should do, as outlined below.
When to wash your hands:
- After breaks and sports activities.
- Before cooking and eating.
- On arrival at school.
- After using the toilet.
- Before leaving home.
- On arrival at home.
How to wash your hands:
- Use soap and hot water (if you can’t access this, use hand sanitiser).
- Washing your hands should take at least 20 seconds (long enough to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ twice).
- It should involve washing all parts of the hands and nails.
- Make sure you rinse your hands properly.
- Make sure you dry your hands properly.
If you need to cough or sneeze:
- Catch it with a tissue – and then bin it.
- If you can’t, try to cover your mouth.
- Then wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitiser.
Where to find the latest information
Updates on COVID-19:
Guidance for educational settings:
Travel advice for those travelling and living overseas:
Year 10 students are scheduled to go on our annual ski trip in the Easter Holiday, which this year will be in Austria. Given the justifiable concerns parents may have about this trip owing to the ongoing Coronavirus situation, I wanted to update you on the advice we have received as a school from the government and from STF, the travel company.
At present, the government are not advising against travel to Austria. Moreover, STF have confirmed that they still plan on running all scheduled trips to areas other than those subject to a travel advisory against all but essential travel. Therefore, based on present advice, we plan to still run the trip to Austria as planned. We will ensure we monitor advice carefully going forward and inform you of any changes to this advice as we receive it.
Should the government position change to one of advising against all but essential travel to this region of Austria, STF have confirmed that a full refund would be provided.
Thank you for your co-operation. We will continue to keep you updated.