Skip to content ↓

History

Westfield School is the successor to Eckington County Secondary School which opened in 1930 in Halfway, when it was then located in Derbyshire. It became Eckington Grammar School in the early 1940s and then became the first comprehensive school in Derbyshire in 1957. There were two sites, a new site on Westfield Crescent in Mosborough and the existing Grammar School, which became the Lower School. In 1967 Sheffield extended its administrative boundaries to include Mosborough and eventually in 1989 the Lower School at Halfway was demolished. Westfield School campus, on Westfield Crescent in Mosborough, was closed in December 2006 and the modern building, approximately two miles from its predecessor, opened its doors in 2007. Click here to see a brief history, including photos.

The Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP, who at the time was Chancellor or the Exchequer, officially opened the building on 1st May 2007. The new building consists of six wings of learning spaces. The school has dedicated accommodation for students with special educational needs, plus many fully fitted ICT rooms and nine science laboratories. The Art and Technology departments include facilities for art, textiles, food, graphics and design and technology. Performing arts have two well-equipped music rooms, a sound proof studio box and two performance rooms. The sports facilities include a 25m swimming pool, large sports hall, fitness suite, activity centre, all-weather floodlit pitches and hard games courts, which are also available to the public outside school hours, via Westfield Sports Centre. The school also owns a residential cottage at Cliburn in the Lake District, which is used for residential visits for students.