Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) forms an integral part of student life at Westfield School.
We encourage all students to develop high aspirations and consider a broad and ambitious range of careers. We use contacts from the world of work and further education to help students understand where different choices can take them in the future.
The majority of careers guidance is delivered in PSHE lessons through their schemes of work, through careers events, off-timetable days and one to one careers interviews delivered by an impartial careers advisor.
Our CEIAG policy is available to read under the policy section on the school website.
For further details on Westfield's careers entitlement, please click here.
Claire Daughtry - Student Progression Manager - email@example.com
Sara Roberts - Careers Advisor - firstname.lastname@example.org
The careers team can also be contacted by telephone by ringing the school reception on 0114 2485221.
careers and college information
The careers corner in the school library is full of post 16 information, including college and 6th form prospectus's, CV templates and interview techniques.
For details of the Post 16 application process, please visit the Sheffield Progress website at www.sheffieldprogress.co.uk
We are keen to engage with businesses and employers to help us inform and educate students on both local and national employment opportunities. This links directly with the Gatsby Benchmark 5 (Encounters with employers and employees) and Gatsby Benchmark 6 (Experience of work places). We provide many opportunities for businesses to interact with students through open evening events, our annual "Be Ambitious Day (Boss Your Future)" and work experience programme.
Further information can be found on our work experience page.
Below is a webinar to provide information to parents and students on apprenticeships and how they work.
You can also visit the National Apprenticeships website which has details of all apprenticeships nationwide at https://www.gov.uk/education/apprenticeships-traineeships-and-internships.
The Amazing Apprenticeship is a leading organisation in the education sector, founded to tackle misconceptions about apprenticeships and promote the benefits. Their monthly packs are an excellent resource to help parents and students navigate the world of apprenticeships. You can visit their website at https://amazingapprenticeships.com/parents/ .
Further details on apprenticeships can also be found at the AMRC at www.amrctraining.co.uk
Silverdale Sixth Form
With Westfield School joining Chorus Education Trust, the aim is to provide priority status to Westfield students when applying to Silverdale Sixth Form - which last year had the best A-level results of all state schools in Sheffield, and is part of Silverdale School which was voted Top State Secondary School in the north by the Sunday Times in 2018.
This means that, as long as Westfield students meet the entry requirements, they will gain priority over any other external applicant for a Sixth Form place. Given that Silverdale Sixth Form is always heavily over-subscribed, this provides a great advantage to Westfield students.
A shuttle bus is also being provided between the two schools, which has been subsidised.
You can find full details about all courses at Silverdale Sixth Form by viewing their website here.
useful careers resources and websites
A huge amount of careers information is also available online. Further sources of useful information include:
- National Careers Service covers information on over 800 different jobs and careers, alongside information on job search tips and techniques.
- iCould provides video clips from people working indifferent job roles, with facts and figures about their industries. The Buzz Quiz allows young people to start considering their personality and how that may affect their career choices.
- UCAS Progress is the application methods for the majority of post-16 opportunities across Sheffield. All students at Westfield School will complete an application, and there is detailed information about all the options, and the application process.
- www.gov.uk for information on a wide range of learning and work related matters including money and the law.
- Careerometer tool provides salary information on a huge range of jobs, as well as essential information about whether such jobs are growing or in decline.
- Higher Education - Weigh it Up
- Websites for careers information and research
- Options 2021 - Your choices at 16 and beyond
- A Levels
- Thinking about higher education?
- Writing a CV
- New job hunting pack
- Not Going to Uni www.notgoingtouni.co.uk
- Careers box www.careersbox.co.uk
- BBC Bitesize careers www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/careers
- Prospects www.prospects.ac.uk
- Get In, Go Far www.youthemployment.org.uk/get-go-far/
- Sheffield Futures www.sheffieldfutures.org.uk
- Informed choices www.informedchoices.ac.uk
- All Saints Sixth Form www.allsaints.sheffield.sch.uk
- Chapeltown Academy www.chapeltownacademy.com
- Forge Valley Sixth Form www.forgevalley.school
- High Storrs Sixth Form www.highstorrs.co.uk
- King Ecgbert Sixth Form www.ecgbert.sheffield.sch.uk
- King Edward V11 Sixth Form www.kes.sheffield.sch.uk
- Longley Park Sixth Form www.longleypark.ac.uk
- Meadowhead Sixth Form www.meadowhead.sheffield.sch.uk
- Notre Dame Sixth Form www.notredame-high.co.uk
- Silverdale Sixth Form www.silverdale-chorustrust.org
- Tapton School Sixth Form www.taptonschool.co.uk
- Government Finance www.gov.uk/student-finance
- Sheffield University www.sheffield.ac.uk
- Sheffield Hallam University www.shu.ac.uk
- Sheffield SEN and Disability Information, Advice and Support www.kids.org.uk
- Sheffield Autistic Society www.sheffieldautisticsociety.org.uk
- Sheffield Mencap and Gateway www.sheffieldmencap.org.uk
- Sheffield Mental Health Guide www.sheffieldmentalhealth.co.uk
Looking for jobs and apprenticeships
- www.vas.org.uk voluntary work
Live Apprenticeship Vacancies